Hello, I can run CDi, FM Towns and tons of subsystems on MAME, but I only can do that with MAME on x86 Batocera, I can’t even try the x64, because I can’t change the MAME core on that, not enough space and stuff, I’ve given up on that.
The secrets are:
1) Maintain the file structure;
2) The folder on CDi case must be the “cdimono1”;
3) You must have the correct BIOS, archive is your friend on that;
4) create a dummy zip file called apprentc.zip, let’s use this game as example. Create a folder with the same name as the zip and put the “the apprentice (cdi-ready).chd” inside the folder;
5) don’t forget to put the cdimono1.xml inside the bios/mame/hash folder, you can find all the xml if you download mame from official page and extract it.
It’s a little trickier but I can run all this systems in my Batocera. But I can’t run then with the MAME they provide, so I must download an official one on retroarch nightly place and put on the /usr/lib/libretro folder. Then do a batocera-save-overlay.
I can even run FM Towns, and it runs very well on my old Core2Duo E7400 overclocked to 3.3ghz.