I am new to the forum and Batocera, so I apologize ahead of time if there is already a thread about this. If there is, I couldn’t find it.
I just installed Batocera a few days ago, so I have only used 5.24. After more trial and error than I expected, I got everything working on my laptop. I don’t have very many games, so the only systems I had tested were SNES and N64. I have been using an Xbox One S controller, connected via Bluetooth. When I tried to connect the laptop to my TV via HDMI, there was no signal. Eventually, I found this: https://github.com/recalbox/recalbox-os/wiki/Change-display-resolution-on-x86---x86_64. After copying the file /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc to ~/.xinitrc and setting the resolution to 1920x1080@60Hz, I was able to get video out. Then to test it, I re-commented out the resolution change, and it still works. Unfortunately, since I did this, the hot key has stopped working in emulators other than Mupen64plus. Previously, the hot key worked as expected in RetroArch. I was able to save/load states, change slots, view the menu, and exit the game. Now, none of those work. Mupen continues to register the hot key as it did before, which is to say it mostly works. Save/load state works, exit/reset game works, increase state slot works, but does not display anything, so I don’t know which slot I’m on without saving or loading. Also, decrease state slot does not work. The mupen problems have not changed since setting up HDMI, it’s the RetroArch problem that is new. I ran a GameCube game to test Dolphin, and it does not register the hot key either, but I do not know if this is new, since I had not run Dolphin before this problem started.
I found that when I plug the controller in with a micro usb cable, the hot key works correctly. The Configure a Controller screen reads the inputs differently. The controller is identified as Xbox One S Wireless controller, and the buttons are given different numbers. After configuring the controller this way, disconnecting the cable, and reconnecting with Bluetooth, the button mappings are all mixed up (not surprising, since the number corresponding to each button changed). In Configure a Controller, the controller is identified as Xbox Wireless Controller. After configuring the controller, the hot key is again not working. I also tried enabling the Xbox controller driver (and disabling the PS3 controller driver) in batocera.conf, but that did not help. It did change the button numbers, and returning batocera.conf to its previous state did not change the button number back. I have also tried removing and re-pairing the controller via bluetoothctl (pairing a controller through EmulationStation did not work before this current problem, and that hasn’t changed).
Sorry this is so long. I have tried everything I can think of, so I hope someone here with more experience than me can help. Thanks for any responses.