Hey dolladollabill, I have recently run into the same issue. I had to go to a few places to get the “correct” BIOS files and I am still hunting, as most do not appear to meet the requirement of Batocera.
joinski is referring to sort of a file fingerprint when referencing hash. There is a unique alphanumeric code for a file. If a file is changed, the hashtag changes as well. For example, the correct hashtag referenced in the Batocera Wiki for “scph1001.bin” is “dc2b9bf8da62ec93e868cfd29f0d067d”. I have downloaded quite a few and tested. Most do not have the correct hashtag.
There is a good tutorial on how to test in Windows using Powershell.
Just do yourself a favor and hit “Shift+RightClick” in an empty space in the open window, not on the .bin file itself.
Most of the “scph1001.bin” downloads I tested had the wrong hashtag. Here is what I got most of the time using Powershell: MD5 hash of SCPH1001.BIN: 924e392ed05558ffdb115408c263dccf
If you look at the trailing letters on the hash, you can see they are incorrect. The trailing characters should read “067d”.
I had a stroke of luck searching and found what should at least be the correct BIOS for “scph1001.bin”. If you go to http://www.psxdev.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56, you will find a bunch of dumped BIOS. Unfortunately, the one on the site that says “scph1001.bin” still gave the wrong hashtag. What actually gave the correct hashtag was the debug BIOS “DTL-H1001 [NTSC-U/C]”.
Download that one and run the Powershell test. You will find that it returns the correct tag for that file.
Rename the file to “scph1001.bin” and drop it into the BIOS folder. Do not create a subfolder.
Unfortunately I am still getting the “Untested” indication despite refreshing the list and rebooting the system. I’m assuming because I haven’t run the “md5sum” command in SSH. I still have to research that a little further.
Either way, getting the right files appears to be a most of the battle. I’ll post again as soon as I can figure out this “untested” status. Good luck!