I have a X96 Max+ Q2 TVBox which runs CoreELEC and EmuELEC. But I never get Batocera running on the box. I guess it’s missing a proper DTB file to load the appropriate device driver. Fortunately, AMRBIAN developers have collected and compiled DTS of the family of amlogic (and other SoC). I just copied the matching DTS (from https://github.com/unifreq/linux-5.10.y/tree/main/arch/arm64/boot/dts/amlogic), put it in Batocera build directory and compile. Then I have a DTB for X96 Max+ Q2 TVBox.
I have tested the DTB with Batocera 36 beta (batocera-s905gen3-tvbox-gen3-36-20230106.img.gz).
- Boot is successful. Emulation Station UI works.
- WiFi is working.
- Genuine PS3 controller (SIXAXIS) works in USB wired mode. Bluetooth pairing failed but the controller can be found.
- Rygar and Twin Cobra on MAME can be played without problem. The game speed is normal, even with bezel decoration.
- After leaving a game, the controller will no longer work. I have to unplug it, plug another controller (XBOX compatible). After Batocera recognizing the new controller, unplug the new controller, and then plug the PS3 controller again. It will work.
The following download links have the same contents (DTB for X96 Max+ Q2).
How to use:
- Download Batocera for S905×3 (TVBox gen3) and write image to a memory card or USBstick.
- Download the DTB.zip, unpack to /boot on the memory card or USBstick. Edit /uEnv.txt to add a line “FDT=/boot/meson-sm1-x96-max-plus-q2.dtb” (without quotes). Use Notepad++ is recommended. Don’t use Notepad bundled with Windows.
- Insert the memory card or USBstick and boot the box. Don’t forget to press the reset button hidden in AV socket before and during boot.
This DTB only works for X96 Max+ Q2, I suppose. Other box like X96 Max+ Q1… will not work.
If you are sure you have a Q2 box, but fail to boot Batocera with the DTB, I suggest try CoreELEC or EmuELEC first. Make sure your box is bootable from memory card or USBstick. If CoreELEC or EmuELEC is working for your box, then the DTB should be working.